First film print: Simple Flowers

I photographed this image of flowers on a 35 mm camera in my Photography I class where we learned about the processes of taking photographs using film and the developing process. We also learned about composition, aperture, shutter speed, contrast, and presentation. I took this photograph on my first roll of film for the class and we were to choose one of our best shots and develop it on 8 X 10 paper.

Guitar Photo Montage

I shot this photograph using a 35mm film camera for my Photography I class. The object of the assignment was to shoot an abstract image that is still recognizable, and add at least four layers to it after developing the photo. I borrowed my friend’s black Fender Squier single cut electric guitar and shot it at an angle. After developing four copies of the photo, I cut out the four pieces I would add layers to, and dry mounted them to either mat board or foam board to create the layers. I then dry mounted these pieces to the original photograph. I added two pieces of foam board between my mat board of the entire photograph to give it more depth and add to the effect of the layers. This was the most challenging assignment for me during that class.

Photo Montage

Photo Montage

Photo montage close up

Photo montage close up

Hand Colored Lake Scene

For this assignment in Photography I, I was to shoot or find a photograph I could hand color. I decided to shoot a fishing pole beside a lake in honor of my Grandfather, who passed away in October of 2012, as he was a fisherman. This proved to be slightly difficult as it was winter when this project was assigned. I traveled to Lake Madison, located southwest of Madison, South Dakota, to shoot a roll of film. I placed the fishing pole between some rocks and shot the pole along with the shore and lake in the background. The way the lake was frozen made it look like the waves were crashing on shore on film. After the long process of developing the photo on fiber based paper, I let the photo dry overnight. I then selected colors to use and rubbed the color onto the photograph, which was not simple as it needed to appear even throughout. This was my favorite project during this class.

Hand coloring photo

Hand coloring photo

Abstract Photograph

This zoomed in photograph of my bracelet was shot using a 35 mm camera for my Photography I class. The object of this assignment was to manipulate a photo in the dark room. There were numerous options for this assignment. In the dark room, I exposed the image on the paper using a high contrast filter and then used a turkey baster filled with developer to pour onto the held up photo. The effect seems as if the photo is dripping onto the paper. This was the most time consuming project for this class as I wanted the effect to look a certain way.

Photo manipulation

Photo manipulation

Digital Coloring

This photo was digitally colored during my Digital Photography II class, where we used a digital camera, and/or our negatives from Photography I to edit in Photoshop. The object of this assignment was to either choose a negative or digital photo, or photograph something to be digitally colored in Photoshop. I chose a photo I took during the summer of 2012 while I was in Keystone, South Dakota for my internship. The photo was already in color, so I had to turn it into black and white in order for it to be colored. I then learned how to gradually add color to blend nicely with the photo. The main focal point is the rope hanging from the tree. The river provides a leading line, which draws the eye to the focal point. The overall result created a dreamlike, forest look to the photo, which I am pleased with.

Digital Coloring

Scale Discrepancy

For this assignment, done in Photography II, where we used a digital camera to take photos, and Photoshop to edit them, I was to take a photo of myself and scale myself down to a small size or up to a large size. The photo of me would be placed inside another photo, in order to compare how small or large I was. I chose to photograph the top of the neck of an electric guitar with emphasis on the tuners. The goal was to have the object and myself photographed in the same type of lighting. I then positioned myself to look like I was sitting on the tuner of the guitar and had a friend photograph it. In Photoshop, I cut myself out of the photo and placed myself in the photo of the guitar. I had to scale myself down, as as well as burn and dodge myself to match  the lighting of the guitar photo. I also had to create a shadow behind myself. Overall, I feel the photo met the goal of depicting extreme scale discrepancy.

Scale  Discrepancy

Cloning

During my Photography II class, I was assigned to create an image in Photoshop using several images of myself in the same setting. This created a cloning effect. The object was to make it look like I had cloned myself. The challenge was to make sure the lighting remained the same, to keep the camera steady, and to create an interesting image. I had to use the eraser tool and several layers in order to correct the fact that the camera had moved some while shooting the image. The different layers represented the “clones” of me. The result I am overall quite pleased with. 

Clone Assignment

Clone Assignment